Sunday, February 05, 2012

bad parenting anecdote

The other day, my wife and I took our daughter to a playground to meet a little friend.

The two girls, my daughter Daisy and her friend C (won't use her whole name for privacy's sake), walked off to a grassy field near the playground. I followed them to keep an eye on them, keep them safe, etc. They asked me to play with them, though they didn't know what to do exactly. I suggested a game in which I attempted to run to the top of a small platform at the end of the field, while they tried to tag me before I got there.

I began to run, dodging and moving in circles as they chased and laughed, and eventually I slowed down for them to tag me. At that point, my daughter Daisy said she wanted to try to run to the platform. She began, and I feebly chased her while letting C pursue her. C and Daisy are very similar in that they are very tentative in "tagging," preferring observation and reflection to quick action. In any case, Daisy -- not so fleet of foot -- did manage to get to the platform before C could tag her. C, blissfully unaware that her tag meant little after Daisy had arrived at the top, tagged her and smiled several seconds after Daisy's triumphant ascent. Daisy asked if she had "won," and I said, well, yes, she got to the platform without being tagged.

C began to wail in sadness, crying in disappointment over her "loss." I felt terrible for her and so said, "Well, no, C DID tag Daisy so she didn't lose." But then Daisy responded, "But that means I lost!," and she began to cry. Two weeping children were the result of this seemingly innocent "game"! I feebly attempted to fashion a narrative in which both children had won. It had limited effect; Daisy had stopped crying, but poor C (very tired, I think) was inconsolable. Luckily her dad came by and soothed her, but it was horrible to see how happy kids can be one instant and made miserable the next.

Now, many people would respond that this is just what happens with kids. At worst, this is a kind of funny story of an inept Dad stymied by two irrational kids. However, I think there might be more to the story. Everything was fine until the element of competition -- of winning and losing -- was artificially introduced. Daisy and C both felt crushed by the idea that somehow they had failed or been bested. I can't help but think back to my reading of Alfie Kohn's "No Contest," a book which argues, claiming the authority of verifiable empirical evidence, that competition is inherently destructive of relationships and confidence and in fact -- contrary to cliches -- does NOT make us better at tasks or more productive, that (in fact) it most often decreases productivity and worsens individual and group performance.

I know many would disagree with such a statement, as we are often wedded to the idea that competition brings out the best in us or gives us incentives to achieve, even that it's "ingrained" in us. Whatever the case may be, Kohn does a pretty thorough job both providing mountains of evidence to challenge (in most cases refute) that notion and showing that claims for the value and efficacy of competition have virtually no verifiable evidence behind them. I don't know if Kohn is right -- in order to endorse his views, I'd have to read responses to his work and arguments on the other side, which I have not. Plus, the book is decades old and may well have been challenged or debunked.

So I don't know if competition is inherent or if it's good or bad for us. However, this anecdote (and it's just one, of course) seemed to support the argument that the introduction of competition can disrupt or corrupt a healthy situation, making me wonder how much frustration and sadness kids feel simply because we impose such structures on them without thinking.

Or maybe the kids were just tired....

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://fuenfzehntersiebter.blogspot.com/

11:06 AM  
Blogger Casey Winters said...

I would like to subscribe to your mundane world but can not seem to find subscribe button anywhere.

4:13 PM  
Blogger GGoss said...

It might be that competition and cooperation are both useful aspects of the human experience, but competitions are not for the very young. What marks our species of mammal is our ability to cooperate on 10,000 levels and help one another.

gary

6:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The benefit of having beautifully manicured nails at all
times is a helpful incentive to stop the nail biting habit.
It does work, but I still treat myself to manicures to ensure that my hands always look
good. The old British maxim states that ‘Knowing your
enemy is battle half won’.

Here is my web site; How to stop biting nails

2:50 AM  
Blogger reginag said...

That isn't healthy at all inside a home.

chronic pain

1:55 AM  
Anonymous ramzan said...

so nice blogger

12:51 AM  
Anonymous ali said...

it is very nice and very famous Indian drama

6:36 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks for your marvelous posting! I certainly enjoyed reading it,
you could be a great author. I will always bookmark your blog
Send Free SMS
urdu maza chatrooms
online chat rooms
I have to express some thanks to this writer for rescuing me from this type of problem. After surfing through the search engines and seeing principles which are not helpful, I was thinking my entire life was gone. Being alive without the presence of solutions to the difficulties you’ve solved as a result of the write-up is a serious case, as well as the ones which could have in a wrong way damaged my career if I had not encountered your web page. Your good skills and kindness in touching all the details was important. I don’t know what I would have done if I had not discovered such a stuff like this. I’m able to at this time look ahead to my future. Thank you very much for your expert and sensible guide. I won’t think twice to propose your site to any individual




11:19 PM  
Anonymous ali said...

Vuhelp are providing you better help in courses and also entertainment. Vuhelp develop assignment solutions, past papers, current papers and final project solutions for the students. You can also find out some interesting news and hot current affairs


www.vuhelp.com

10:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home